Borrow Me Return Me
The t-shirt bags have been so popular that we cannot keep up with the demand! We recently ordered 50 bags made out of recycled cotton with a new design. Once the bags arrive we will put them into circulation at Howsers, Olerud's, Mountain Market, Haines library and the farmers market!
If you are feeling crafty and have collected a pile of old t-shirts in your closet, follow the directions below to make your own t-shirt bags.
If you would like to sponsor a bag send an email to: email@example.com.
Facts about plastics
- Annually approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. More than one million bags are used every minute.
- Fish in the North Pacific ingest between 12,00 - 24,000 tons of plastic each year.
- A plastic bag has an average “working life” of 15 minutes.
- Over the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century. our facts came from https://www.plasticoceans.org/the-facts/
What Can you Do?
Each reusable bag can eliminate hundreds (if not thousands) of plastic bags, so be sure to make use of our Borrow a Bag program, or invest in your own canvas bag and start making a difference.
Here are some other things that you can do to make a difference:
- Encourage others to use reusable bags
- Give reusable shopping bags or cute tote bags as a gift
- Petition your local council or government to ban or place a tax on plastic bags
Make a t-shirt bag
With the help of the Haines Fourth grade class, a local welder and Haines Friends of Recycling LCC created the borrow a bag program. Old t-shirts are cut and tied to create bags, which now hang in each of Haines's three main grocery stores. Borrow a bag and return it to any store the next time you go shopping. Follow the instructions below to make your own.